Florida Youth Institute
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences FYI
Applications are now closed for summer 2019
Due to the Extended Application Window, Notifications about FYI Applications will go out by April 10th.
2019 Program Dates: 1 week (2 sessions), July 14-19 OR July 21-26
One-week residential program for students entering grades 11 and 12 during Summer 2019
The Florida Youth Institute is a life-changing experience at the University of Florida for high school students. As a participant you will get the unique opportunity to engage with local leaders and experts on critical global challenges, participate in hands-on activities, and explore exciting ways to make a difference in Florida and around the world.
As a participant in FYI, you would have the opportunity to:
- Present research and recommendations on ways to solve key global challenges in a short speech and small group discussions with statewide experts
- Experience indoor and outdoor laboratories and campus facilities
- Connect with other student leaders from across Florida to share ideas, identify solutions to these problems and build lasting friendships
- Explore the issues, current research and opportunities to make a difference at the University of Florida
- Interact with global leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs in Florida working to end hunger and poverty and improve food security around the world
- Meet with UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Dean Dr. Elaine Turner and Clay Commissioner of Agriculture.
- Live in a campus residence hall
Students research issues they care about, and propose their ideas to solve these grand challenges. These application papers are entered to compete in The World Food Prize. Students who participate in the Florida Youth Institute are eligible to receive a $10,000 scholarship to study in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida, receive recognition as a Borlaug Scholar, and qualify for internships and further opportunities.
Applicants should be motivated, mature students who are dedicated to the future of agriculture and the related sciences.
The Florida Youth Institute is hosted by the University of Florida with the generous support of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences.
FYI 2018 Highlight Videos!