Equipment Lockers: Descriptions
What is included in each locker?
- PCR tube racks: 96 well racks to fit PCR tubes (up to 8 per locker). Cost: $10.00
Ready to Run DNA (only available for Bench to Bedside participants):
- Modes of Inheritance kit:
- Crime Scene Investigator: Students investigate a hypothetical crime scene to determine who the culprit was using DNA. Cost: $20.00
- Outbreak!: Students determine the source of an outbreak of a mysterious virus. Cost: $20.00
Other Wet Lab Kits:
- Pipetting by Design:
- Beadle plasticus evolution (Science Take-Out kit):
- What is it? DIchotomous key (Science Take-Out kit):
- What do genes do? Model how the coded information in genes results in proteins that perform specific functions in the body. Transcribe the DNA code to make a messenger RNA code. Translate the RNA code to make a sequence of amino acids in a protein. Create a bead and chenille stem model of the protein. Follow the “rules of chemistry” to fold your protein into its 3D shape. Explore how protein shapes affect proteins function in your body. Includes all components (up to 15 student groups) (Only available for Bench to Bedside participants)
- Stem Cells (Science Take-Out kit): What’s the difference between adult and embryonic stem cells? How do you make an embryonic stem cell line? How are stem cells and growth factors used to treat diseases. Sequence pictures of the steps used to create an embryonic stem cell line. Use simulated stem cells and growth factors to learn how stem cells differentiate into specialized cell types. I
- Diagnosing Diabetes (Science Take-Out kit):Analyze simulated blood plasma samples collected during a glucose tolerance test to determine if your patient has Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. Create a patient information sheet about diabetes and the glucose tolerance test. Test and graph glucose and insulin levels in simulated blood plasma samples. Analyze the test results to determine if the patient has Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
- Disease Detectives (Science Take-Out kit): What is wrong with Mike? Could it be viral or bacterial meningitis? Perform simulated laboratory testing of cerebrospinal fluid to determine which disease is causing the patient’s fever and severe headache. Explore the importance of vaccinations to prevent meningitis. (Only available for Bench to Bedside participants)
- Amino Acid Starter Kit: Your students explore the primary, secondary and tertiary structure of proteins with the captivating models and tools in this dynamic kit. Includes all components (up to 15 student groups) Cost: $20.00
- Water Molecules Kit: Each Water Kit© cup includes pieces for 12 water molecules, 1 sodium, 1 chloride, 1 ethane, and 1 hydroxyl group. All atoms are magnetized to refl ect their positive or negative charges (except for non-polar ethane). Your students can make ice, dissolve salt, evaporate water, explore transpiration, create ethanol, and much, much more! Includes all components (up to 8 student groups) Cost: $20.00
- The Great Clade Race: Using a leg race analogy, build a phylogeny using “runner” cards in order to demonstrate the acquisition of traits over evolutionary time. Cost: $10.00
- Mobile Phylogeny Activity: Using 16 animal cards, build a phylogeny using various craft supplies in order to understand the branching nature of the tree of life. Includes pipe cleaners, yarn, clothes pins, scissors, etc. Cost: $10.00
- Disease Genes BLAST Activity: Using the BLAST online tool, enter these gene sequences to determine what disease they are related to. Includes sets of laminated gene sequences. Cost: $5.00
Curriculum Kits (Cost: $25.00 each):
- Cholera Conundrum/Medical Mystery of Epidemic Proportions – Cholera (Revised Science Take-Out kit)
- The Dengue Dilemma Kit: mosquito hatcheries, ELISA simulation (contact for Bio-Rad ELISA kit), E-Gels rigs (contact for gels and simulated DNA), pipetting stations (up to 8 student groups)
- War of the 21st Century: The Cell Cycle, Cancer and Clinical Trials Kit: laminated cards, laminated cell cycle poster, Clinical Assay Kit (up to 8 student groups)
- The Pompe Predicament Kit: laminated cards, DNA Structure to Function (Science Take-Out Kit) (modified), DBS GAA Testing Kit (colorimetric assay) (up to 8 student groups)
- Chewing on Change: Exploring the Evolution of Horses in Response to Climate Change Kit: Explore horse evolution through the investigation of horse teeth. Includes laminated horse cards, 3D printed horse teeth, sliding calipers, laminated photos of horse teeth, and measuring tape for geologic time scale activity.
- Hands on Human Evolution: A Laboratory Based Approach Kit: Explore human evolution through lab based activities that focus on trends seen within the primate order while also using multiple lines of evidence to make conclusions. Includes laminated chromosomes, amino acid sequences and DNA base pair sequences along with casts of hominid species.
- Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine Kit: DNA Chips: Genes to Disease kits (2 per classroom)
- Bioengineering a Liver Kit: Diagnosing Diabetes (Science Take-Out Kit) (up to 15 student groups), Stem Cells (Science Take-Out Kit) (up to 15 student groups), stir plates and stir bars, Triton x 100 solution, SDS solution (Only available for Bench to Bedside participants)
- Whale Evolution Kit: Includes plastic whale models and laminated fossil cards.
- The Ebola Epidemic: Simulates the transmission of Ebola and draws information from the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
Books, ID cards, games, movies, etc.:
- Extraordinary Measures Movie: one standard DVD Cost: $5.00
- Giant Microbes:
- Go Extinct! Board game: Collect clades and learn how species are related through this fun board game! Cost: $20.00
- TBL iRAT and tRAT cards: Used for the Team Based Learning approach. (Only available for Bench to Bedside participants)
Sciences Cases(Cost: $25.00 for 1, $20.00 each for 2+):
- Reproductive System: Includes plush placenta, prostate, testicle, ovary, mammary gland, uterus, DNA, egg cell, sperm cell, stem cell, human being.
- Digestive System: Includes plush colon, rectum, stomach, intestine, stomach ache, food poisoning, E. coli, salmonella, norovirus, and ulcer.
- Nervous System: Includes plush brain, brain cell, brain eating amoeba, mad cow disease, rabies.
- Endocrine System: Includes plus ovary, testicle, thyroid, pancreas, brain.
- Circulatory System: Include lungs, heart, antibody, plasma, platelet, red blood cell, white blood cell, heart cell, cancer, malaria.
- Epidermis: Includes athlete’s foot, pimple, shingles, chicken pox, skin cell, staph, C. diff, flesh-eating bacteria, and leprosy.
- STDs: Includes chlamydia, clap, crabs, herpes, HIV, HPV, pox, trichomoniasis.
- Physics Kit: Includes electron, proton, neutron, up quark, down quark, electron-neutrino, dark matter, photon, Higgs Boson.