MMS 2016 Program Resources
Program Book (with Agenda)
- Centers for Disease Control – Up to date news and information
- World Health Organization – Up-to-date news and information
- WHO Science in Action Series – Exclusive interviews with experts who work in a diversity of scientific domains: vector control, diagnostics, neurology, complications of Zika, and vaccine development.
- PBS Learning Media – A variety of ready-to-use media resources, searchable by keywords (e.g. zika) for varying grade levels or national science standards.
- Sesame Street – News about the Zika virus can be overwhelming, scary, and confusing for children. The key to helping kids cope with their emotions is communicating the facts around the virus and together take measures towards prevention. Learn to recognize symptoms of Zika and model protection against mosquito bites with these tips, activities, and videos..
- Invasive Mosquito Project – The invasive mosquito project is recruiting high school students and science teachers to collect mosquito eggs in their communities and upload the data to populate an online map. That provides real-time information about hot spots to help researchers and mosquito controllers respond..
- Spill The Water – Florida Health has created this resource to help educate young Floridians about preventing mosquito-borne illness.
- AES Education – There are many ways to add a current event project to your existing health science curriculum – we have written up two methods that we use with teachers, which can be used directly or you can modify the template and come up with your own..
- WHO Powerpuff Girls PSA – To help efforts to reduce the number of mosquitoes that spread the virus, the WHO’s Pan American Health Organization is rolling out a public service announcement campaign aimed at kids, featuring cartoon characters like the Powerpuff Girls.
Links to Relevant Ted (Ed) Talks
- Zika virus is spreading through the Americas
- How we’ll fight the next deadly virus
- Gene editing can now change an entire species – forever
- Compilation of talks on mosquitos
- Compilation of talks on viruses
Links to Recent News Articles
- 10 Zika facts you should know
- A new Zika zone in Miami
- Zika causes damage to infants beyond microcephaly
- Brain scans of Brazilian babies show array of Zika effects
- Children who get Zika after birth don’t fall seriously ill
- As New York fights Zika, officials turn their focus to sex
Zika, and other things that go bump in the night by Dr. Glenn Morris
Biology, distribution, and insecticide susceptibility status of Florida vectors of Zika virus by Dr. Roxanne Connelly
Science Take-Out Lesson
ACATTCTAGAAGAAATGAATCGGGCACCAGGAGGAAAGATGTACGCAGATGACACTGCTGGCTGGGACAC CCGCATTAGTAAGTTTGATCTGGAGAATGAAGCTCTGATTACCAACCAAATGGAGGAAGGGCACAGAACT CTGGCGTTGGCCGTGATTAAATACACATACCAAAACAAAGTGGTGAAGGTTCTCAGACCAGCTGAAGGAG GAAAAACAGTTATGGACATCATTTCAAGACAAGACCAGAGAGGGAGTGGACAAGTTGTCACTTATGCTCT CAACACATTCACCAACTTGGTGGTGCAGCTTATCCGGAACATGGAAGCTGAGGAAGTGTTAGAGATGCAA GACTTATGGTTGTTGAGGAAGCCAGAGAAAGTGACCAGATGGTTGCAGAGCAATGGATGGGATAGACTCA AACGAATGGCGGTCAGTGGAGATGACTGCGTTGTGAAGCCAATCGATGATAGGTTTGCACATGCCCTCAG GTTCTTGAATGACATGGGAAAAGTTAGGAAAGACACACAGGAGTGGAAACCCTCGACTGGATGGAGCAAT TGGGAAGAAGTCCCGTTCTGCTCCCACCACTTCAACAAGCTGTACCTCAAGGATGGGAGATCCATTGTGG TCCCTTGCCGCCACCAAGATGAACTGATTGGCCGAGCTCGCGTCTCACCAGGGGCAGGATGGAGCATCCG GGAGACTGCCTGTCTTGCAAAATCATATGCGCAGATGTGGCAGCTCCTTTATTTCCACAGAAGAGACCTT CGACTGATGGCTAATGCCATTTGCTCGGCTGTGCCAGTTGACTGGGTACCAACTGGGAGAACCACCTGGT CAATCCATGGAAAGGGAGAATGGATGACCACTGAGGACATGCTCATGGTGTGGAATAGAGTGTGGATTGA GGAGAACGACCATATGGAGGACAAGACTCCTGTAACAAAATGGACAGACATTCCCTATCTAGGAAAAAGG GAGGACTTATGGTGTGGATCCCTTATAGGGCACAGACCCCGCACCACTTGGGCTGAAAACATCAAAGACA CAGTCAACATGGTGCGCAGGATCATAGGTGATGAAGAAAAGTACATGGACTATCTATCCACCCAAGTCCG CTACTTGGGTGAGGAAGGGTCCACACCCGGAGTGTTGTAA