Research Immersion in Science and Engineering
Research Immersion in Science and Engineering (RISE)
One-week themed residential program for students entering grade 10 from June 17-22
Cost: $900 Application Fee: N/A
Research Immersion in Science and Engineering introduces students in the iterative cycle of innovations in science and engineering. From basic science research to the development of new applications, therapies, and technologies, students learn how research scientists and engineers contribute new knowledge and innovative approaches to tackle societal issues. Students visit active research laboratories and facilities, attend discussions highlighting current research at UF, and participate in hands-on activities and experiments with leading UF research faculty and graduate students. A culminating group project encourages collaborative learning, synthesis of ideas and technologies learned at UF, and the development of new project ideas.
Applying to RISE
Priority application deadline: March 15th
A complete RISE application includes:
- Online application form
- Two 300-500 word essays:
- Prompt 1: What is your favorite subject or activity? What do you enjoy about this subject/activity?
- Prompt 2: Please describe an experience that made you excited or curious to learn more about a topic in science, technology, math, engineering or computer science.
- One teacher/mentor endorsement:
- Endorser must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentor or teacher. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s name and school email address in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your current report card:
- Submit a current report card (must include all of your first semester grades) or transcript to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344).
RISE / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611
Notifications regarding your account and application progress will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add this address to your email safe senders list, address book or contact list.
What students said about Science Quest:
“I think anyone considering a career in the sciences should apply for Science Quest.”
“Science Quest showed that science fields are not all about test tubes and beakers, but that scientists work in many different ways with various devices.”
“Science Quest was a really educational, but incredibly fun, experience. Being in such a small group was awesome; we all got really close and we still keep in touch.”
“Loved everything: the science, the people. The entire experience was extraordinary.”
“Science Quest did a great job with combining science with fun!”