Frequently Asked Questions
How much does REx cost?
Fees – The application fee for REx is $35. The program fee for REx is $2,400. The program fee includes all program-related costs, including housing, staffing, program materials, field trips, weekend activities, program-sponsored social activities, and all daily meals. Participants may bring personal spending money for extra snacks and souvenirs. Transportation to and from Gainesville is the responsibility of the student and family.
Scholarships – Regardless of your financial situation, we encourage you to complete an application by the submission deadline. Applicants are considered for admission regardless of ability to pay either the application fee or the program fee. If you have been selected to attend and will need financial assistance, please visit our financial aid application page. The information you provide on your application will be cross-referenced with any possible scholarships available and you will be notified as soon as possible as to the outcome.
What about housing and supervision?
Housing – REx offers residential and commuter options. Residential program participants and residential staff live in the Hume Residence Hall on the UF campus. Each suite has two double-occupancy bedrooms and a shared bathroom. Please visit the highlighted link above for more information on this residence. Upon invitation to participate in the program, students will be mailed detailed information on the kinds of items they will want to bring with them for their stay during the program.
REx is a residential program, all students are required to live on campus. A commuter option is not available.
Program Staff – REx provides staffing throughout the entire program including faculty supervisors, instructors, residential counselors, and program coordinators. Program staff support the academic learning, leadership development, and social well-being of the participants.
Where do we eat and what types of food can I expect?
Meals will be provided from a variety of campus and off-campus restaurants, including the UF dining hall which is cafeteria style, on-campus restaurants such as Panda Express or Subway, local restaurants, and catered meals. Many special dietary considerations may be accommodated during the program. Special dietary requests and food allergies should be noted on paperwork distributed to program participants.
Who is eligible, and how do I apply?
Eligibility – Applicants must be entering junior or senior in high school. Students in all high school course concentrations are eligible. Only an interest in exploring research science is required.
Application – Eligible students should apply as soon as possible through our online application portal, which will launch in January. Click here to visit the application portal!
A complete REx application includes:
- Online application form
- Two 300-500 word essays:
- Prompt 1 (both REx tracks): What is your favorite subject or activity? What do you enjoy about this subject/activity?
- Prompt 2a (REx – Ecotoxicology track only): Please describe a current environmental issue that you feel is particularly relevant to Florida.
- Prompt 2b (REx – Biomedical track only): Briefly describe a breakthrough in biomedicine or biotechnology that has either significantly impacted your life, or is meaningful to society as a whole.
- Two teacher/mentor endorsements:
- Endorsers must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentors or teachers. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s information in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts:
- Submit your unofficial transcripts (must include all for your first semester grades) to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344)
REx / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611