REx — Research Explorations
Two-week residential research program for students entering grades 11 and 12 during Summer 2019
Cost: $2,400 Application Fee: $35
The REx program (Formerly RET and EBR) is an advanced introduction to research science. Students can attend one of two tracks, described below. While the specialized components of each track are separate, REx functions as one program with students from both tracks living, dining & socializing together.
This program focuses on translational research, from discovery-based research to clinical therapeutics. This program connects high school students to researchers in interdisciplinary biomedical sciences to promote interest in and preparation for bioscience careers.
This program connects university researchers and students to promote interest in and preparation for environmental science-related careers. Students will engage in a series of activities which highlight the relationship between biological, chemical, and engineering processes needed to mitigate current environmental concerns.
Applying to REx
We’re excited to announce our new online application portal! Click here to visit the application portal!
A complete REx application includes:
- Online application form
- Two 300-500 word essays:
- Prompt 1 (both REx tracks): What is your favorite subject or activity? What do you enjoy about this subject/activity?
- Prompt 2a (REx – Ecotoxicology track only): Please describe a current environmental issue that you feel is particularly relevant to Florida.
- Prompt 2b (REx – Biomedical track only): Briefly describe a breakthrough in biomedicine or biotechnology that has either significantly impacted your life, or is meaningful to society as a whole.
- Two teacher/mentor endorsements:
- Endorsers must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentors or teachers. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s information in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your current report card:
- Submit a current report card (must include all for your first semester grades) or transcript to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344).
REx / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611