Junior Science, Engineering, and Humanities Symposium
“During JSEHS I learned about very interesting research topics and projects that never would have been brought up at school and that inspired questions I may not have ever thought without this experience.” – 2012 JSEHS Student Participant
Join motivated and talented students and teachers at the 55th Florida Regional Junior Science, Engineering, and Humanities Symposium at the University of Florida on January 28 – 30, 2018. Dates and details will be updated in Fall 2017 for the 2018 symposium.
Sponsored by the University of Florida Center for Precollegiate Education and Training and the Army Education Outreach Program, JSEHS is designed to:
- Search out talented youth and help them develop their interests and abilities in science.
- Assist students in career explorations by revealing opportunities in the sciences.
- Provide recognition and prestige for students who demonstrate aptitude for scientific studies.
- Offer teachers the opportunity to motivate students and update knowledge about current research.
- Demonstrate the vital role of the humanities in the development of scientists and engineers.
While participating in the Florida Regional JSEHS, students, teachers, and parents will have the opportunity to:
- Interact with UF faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students to explore university-level research, learn about science and humanities majors, and discover career opportunities.
- Visit research labs and attend faculty lectures to learn about exciting research and discoveries happening right now!
- Meet like-minded peers during poster sessions, research presentations, socials, and informal networking time.
- Present research at the STEM Research Competitions or during non-completive poster sessions and speaker sessions.
- Discover how the humanities and science weave together and about the interdisciplinary nature of science.
Learn more about the 2018 Florida Regional JSEHS:
- Visit the Student Science and Humanities Forums page to learn more about presenting bench or library research at the General Poster Session (all grade levels) and/or 9th and 10th Grade STEM Research Talks.
- Visit the Symposium Activities page to learn about scheduled keynote speakers, humanities presentations, and college fair organizations!
- Apply now! College Scholarship Opportunities for 11th and 12th Grade Students! Apply to present your research in the STEM Research Speaker Competition or the STEM Research Poster Competition. Winners receives scholarship money towards attending the University of their choice and an opportunity to compete at the National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium.
- Discover activities planned for the 2018 Florida Regional JSEHS by downloading the 2018 General Schedule. A detailed program schedule will be available a few weeks before the symposium.
- Share information about the 2018 Florida Regional JSEHS by downloading the Program Flyer.
- Register by visiting the Registration Information page School/Group delegations and individual family participation are welcome! Registration will open November 1st. Registration is due January 5, 2018.
JSEHS is included on the National Association of Secondary School Principals National Advisory List of School Contests and Activities
The JSEHS is sponsored by:
|Center for Precollegiate
Education and Training
|Air Force Office
of Scientific Research
Comments from Past Participants
“The atmosphere was business-like and adult. Science had a distinct air of importance.”
“The symposium was wonderful! It’s a great learning experience where one has a chance to look into the fields of study they are interested in. It is no wonder that this program has been such a success for thirty-five years.”
“It was an enriching experience to have the opportunity to talk to the actual researchers, not just see them on television or read about them in magazines, journals or books.”
“The ability to nurture our highly motivated students and recognize their talents was a refreshing experience.”