Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost?
Fees – There is no application fee for GCP. The program fee for GCP is $500. The program fee includes all program-related costs, including staffing, program materials, field trips, program-sponsored social activities, snacks, and lunch. Participants may bring personal spending money for extra snacks and souvenirs. Transportation to and from UF campus each day is the responsibility of the student and family.
Scholarships – Regardless of your financial situation, we encourage you to complete an application by the submission deadline. Applicants are considered for admission regardless of ability to pay the program fee. If you have been selected to attend and will need financial assistance, please visit our financial aid application page.
What about supervision?
Program Staff – GCP provides staffing throughout the entire program including faculty supervisors, instructors, residential counselors, and program coordinators. Program staff support the academic learning, leadership development, and social well-being of the participants.
Where do we eat and what types of food can I expect?
Meals will be provided from a variety of campus and off-campus restaurants, including the UF dining hall which is cafeteria style, on-campus restaurants such as Panda Express or Subway, local restaurants, and catered meals. Many special dietary considerations may be accommodated during the program. Special dietary requests and food allergies should be noted on paperwork distributed to program participants.
Who is eligible, and how do I apply?
Eligibility – Applicants must be entering their sophomore or junior year in high school. Students in all high school course concentrations are eligible. Only an interest in exploring computing is required.
Application – Eligible students should apply as soon as possible through our online application portal, which will launch in January. In the meantime, feel free to begin working on and collecting your application materials to submit through the online portal once it opens.
A complete GCP application includes:
- Online application form
- Two 300-500 word essays:
- Prompt 1: What is your favorite subject or activity? What do you enjoy about this subject/activity?
- Prompt 2: Please describe an experience that made you excited or curious to learn more about a topic in science, technology, math, engineering or computer science.
- One teacher/mentor endorsement:
- Endorser must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentor or teacher. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s information in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts or current report card:
- Submit your grades (must include all for your first semester grades for 2017-18) to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344).
GCP / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611