Gator Computing Program
2019 Program Dates: Weekday, nonresidential June 3-7 & 10-14 from 8:30a-4pm each day
Two-week non-residential program for students entering grades 10 and 11 from during Summer 2019
Cost: $500 Application Fee: N/A
Gator Computing Program is a two week, non-residential program for students entering 10th and 11th grade. Students enrolled in the Gator Computing Program engage with UF faculty from the engineering, social sciences, medical research, and biotechnology disciplines, and those with expertise in 3-D printing technologies. Each afternoon, students tour various campus laboratories for an up-close view of what scientific work really looks like. One of the tours will be to the UF Data Center, home to HiPerGator, UF’s supercomputer. HiPerGator, short for High Performance Gator, is among the top supercomputers owned by a U.S. university. During week one of the program, students will spend the mornings learning how to use computational tools to solve problems. Then, in week two, students will work in small project teams to use tools shown to them to solve a problem by themselves. On the last day of the program, teachers and parents will be invited to see the students present the results obtained in their projects. The program is sponsored by UF Information Technology. Organization of the program is managed by UFIT Research Computing and the Center for Precollegiate Education and Training.
Applying to GCP
A complete GCP application includes:
- Online application form
- Two 300-500 word essays:
- Prompt 1: What is your favorite subject or activity? What do you enjoy about this subject/activity?
- Prompt 2: Please describe an experience that made you excited or curious to learn more about a topic in science, technology, math, engineering or computer science.
- One teacher/mentor endorsement:
- Endorser must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentor or teacher. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s name and school email in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your current report card:
- Submit a current report card (must include all of your first semester grades) or transcript to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344).
GCP / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611
Notifications regarding your account and application progress will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add this address to your email safe senders list, address book or contact list.