Florida Youth Institute
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences FYI
One-week residential program for students entering grades 11 and 12 during Summer 2019
During the week, FYI students will learn about and discuss issues pertaining to Florida agriculture, life sciences, and natural resources. Students will gain an appreciation for the range of college majors and career opportunities available in these areas. This program is sponsored by the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida, in partnership with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
FYI participants will:
- Participate in a variety of engaging lessons and demonstrations.
- Experience indoor and outdoor laboratories and campus facilities.
- Engage with faculty, staff and current CALS students.
- Meet with UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Dean Dr. Elaine Turner and Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Adam Putnam.
- Examine issues in agriculture, life science, and natural resources.
- Reflect on worldwide challenges such as food security.
- Experience one week in a campus residence hall.
Applicants should be motivated, mature students who are dedicated to the future of agriculture and the related sciences.
Applying to FYI
A complete FYI application includes:
- Online application form
- One essay:
- Choose a developing country and an issue relating to food security in that country. In 400-500 words, share your thoughts on that issue (cause and effect, governmental influences, availability of food, quality of food, and possible solutions). Include a bibliography in APA or MLA format.
- One teacher/mentor endorsement:
- Endorser must be current or former STEM, computer science, or research mentor or teacher. We encourage you to ask a teacher or mentor who knows you well in a subject area you would like to pursue while you are here.
- Once you enter your endorser’s information in our online application portal, they will be sent an online endorsement form. Contact endorsers directly to request their support prior to filling out your online application.
- A copy of your current report card:
- Submit a current report card (must include all of your first semester grades) or transcript to UF CPET via hard-copy or FAX (352-392-2344).
FYI / UF CPET
334 Yon Hall, PO Box 112010
Gainesville, FL 32611
- Notifications regarding your account and application progress will come from email@example.com. Please add this address to your email safe senders list, address book, or contact list.